Skip to main content

Why Destiny: Rise of Iron Kept Me Away

After playing the game actively for two weeks I fell off after around 343 light. I didn’t spend much time with the last expansion, which made me to play catch-up with the other players. Rise of Iron was a really short expansion that didn’t really fix or improve on existing problems. The game is still enjoyable though. I’m still going to play, but not as frequent as its release. Hopefully, with the rumors of Destiny 2 things will be more polished and contain more content.  

The first week of playing the game was fun. I felt a real personal connection with my character after taking a break from the game. All the raids I’ve done with random players, the Nightfalls that help me get most of my exotic equipment, and first place finishes in competitive multiplayer. I wanted to give the raid a shot, but the light level grind is a real chore after a couple of hours.


When I got around 343 light level I started to slow down. The way the light level works is that each item is given a rating -- for weapons the ratings will classify as attack and armor ratings will classify as defensive. The average of the ratings will equal your light level. For Rise of Iron the progression is a real grinding clinic. Whatever the light level is the next item that is decrypted or obtain will be equal or slightly above current level. It can be frustrating because, I never feel like I’m progressing through the game.



The story and content didn’t come in the masses nor was it amazing. It didn’t feel finished. While playing I notice that a lot of the content, beside the raid was just a remake of other strikes -- among other content. With Rise of Iron being such a short project Bungie played it safe.

Next year when or if Destiny 2 comes out – Bungie won’t be able play it safe. Players expect things that were not fully realized like, a much more enjoyable narrative, an actual open world that feels alive, and a better horde mode like Court of Oryx and Archon’s Forge. Bungie took the first steps in doing so by ditching last generation consoles. This was the limitation that held Destiny back the first two years of its release. Now that last generation consoles is out of the picture, there’s no holding back in making Destiny 2 the best possible version.


Even though I fell off from Rise of Iron, I still enjoy the gameplay of it. The grinding aspect of the game is my least favorite. It’s repetitive and time consuming for such a minor upgrade. It just doesn’t feel worth it. I’m still going to continue to casually play Rise of Iron and try to get myself in the raid. Hardcore Destiny players will and continue to enjoy Rise of Iron. With new events and updates coming along the way there is always something to come back to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a