Skip to main content

My Love, Hate Relationship with Dark Souls 3


My first introduction to the Souls franchise was not actually a Souls game, but with Bloodborne. I knew that these games were punishing but I didn’t think it would be hairpulling difficult. Even when I thought I had the hang of things the smallest enemies destroyed me, and don’t even get me started with the bosses. I didn’t progress far out of the two games, and know the only way to progress is to keep at it, get better, and be patient. These elements might be “soul” crushing for players, but that’s the whole game. The fear and temptation of attacking, dodging, and blocking an enemy makes the combat system more intricate than other combat heavy games.

What I love About Dark Souls 3

·         The amount of customization of your character. When first starting out, you must choose a class and depending on what class you choose it can affect the way you play. An Assassin is mobile with quick strikes, and a Pyromancer can use fire magic out of the gate. Of course, you can spec your stats, as this will be needed when wielding a specific weapon, armor, or shield. The 28+ hours I played I feel infested and connected to my character.

·         The way combat feels, feels awesome. Especially if you planned an attack and you executed on it. Usually a player would stick to the weapon they enjoy the most, but for me I like to experiment before I choose my preferred weapon, which I haven’t found yet.

·         I love the esthetic of the world and monstrosity that lives within it. It’s unsettling exploring the world by myself, with traps and monsters at every corner. Looking at a horizon gives a stunning visual of the landscapes, and then realizing that you been there is truly breathtaking. The monsters are creepy, ugly (sometime), dark, and scary, which I think makes it one of the best character models I’ve seen in videogames.



The more I play the more I can’t stop thinking about it. The bosses are smartly designed in a way that every boss is different and have many ways to beat it. The act of reading its movements and reacting are the best moments of Dark Souls 3.

What I Hate About Dark Souls 3
  •       The difficultly of the game is the definition of love and hate, I like the challenge, but when that challenge is out of reach it can be discouraging. Everything from the environment to small enemies to bosses, there will be always a road block you must ride through. This is part of the course for a “Souls” game.   
  •        One thing that I absolutely hate, but understand it’s part of the game is dying with souls, if you don’t know what souls are they’re the currency of the game and if you die with souls, you lose them and must go back to your dead body to collect, but if you die once more you lose those souls and must regain them. Dying repeatedly and not getting the souls you lost makes me want to turn the game off, but again dying is part of the game and doing so will improve your skills against harder enemies.



  •        Fighting more than a single enemy is so stressful and can get in your head, which should I take out first? or should I try out a different weapon? This can be prevented in some cases by luring one away from the other, but when there is a group of them it just feels like an impossible task.


Dark Souls is about the difficulty and learning and improving from that difficultly. Even if it means dying repeatedly, which can be discouraging. This game is easy to hate and a little harder to like, but once that feeling has past you want to relive it.


Hate and love is the name of the game. More hate than love, but the love gives a sense of stress relief, triumphant, and cheering moments that most games don’t entail. Though hate is powerful in this game, the joy overpowers that hate even if it for one second. If anyone decides to play a “Souls” like game, know that this is going to be a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a