Skip to main content

My 2016 Game of the Year: # 3 Titanfall 2

# 3 Titanfall 2


This is the last sequel to make it on my 2016 top five list – which was filled with sequel releases. I missed the release of the first Titanfall, mostly because it was an Xbox exclusive. Watching videos and hearing players saying how fast and fun the multiplayer was, made me curious what all the fuss was about. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to experience the multiplayer.

The multiplayer aspect of the game was the best and the only part of the game that many players enjoy. The narrative was nowhere to be seen, instead Respawn (Developers) tried to implement narrative within multiplayer. This was a neat idea, but didn’t work. When playing multiplayer, you want to be focused on your surroundings and the players, there isn’t time to be listening and digesting the story.

Titanfall 2 isn’t all that different, the core gameplay is still the same – which makes sense, if there isn’t anything broken don’t fix it. There were a lot of additions of new mechanics with the pilot classes, and multiple Titan classes. The Titan classes play a major part in the games campaign, which is one of the best First-Person Shooter campaign I’ve experienced, but I’ll get to that later. When using your Titan, you can change the class on the fly, this allows for you to adapt and pick out which fight is better with this enemy.

Traversing Through Moving Building and Time Manipulations Makes You Feel like a Superhero

Fans of the first Titanfall thought that the game was great but it was missing a complete narrative. This time around, Respawn has taken feedback and made a full campaign, not only is it Respawns first full campaign, but they have made one of the best and memorable FPS campaign I have played.

You play as Jack Cooper a soon to be Pilot, trying to find out what happen to Major Anderson another friendly pilot, but you can’t do it alone. You find a banged-up Titan called BT-7472, you help BT and you become BT’s Pilot. BT has great personality, the interactions and conservations between him and Jack are lighthearted. By the time the credits rolled, I felt like I had a personal connection with BT.

Some of the level designs work amazingly well. Platforming in first-person is not the best, but in Titanfall 2 it works. Every level has a purpose in the story. There are parts of the story where platforms shift, you don’t know what it is and where its taking you, but its taking you to your objective, what you didn’t know that the moving platforms were coming together to create a house, feeling uncertainty but then figuring out what it is, was a great moment. There are some levels that feel generic others feel original.


A huge point in the game – which everyone is in love with is with a mission called,” Effect and Cause”. I don’t want to go too much into it but leading up to this point of the game I didn’t think much of it, after I got the power to travel to and from time it opened my eyes to what this game can become. The way they allow you to use the power makes you feel like a superhero. The one problem I had with the mission was it was a little short, I would love to see Respawn try to use the time mechanic for other environments.

Multiplayer Feels Fluid and Fast, Even with Giant Robots walking around

The first thing that stuck out to me was speed of the game, It’s fast and controllable. But the thing that I thought was a step down were the Titans. They didn’t feel as fluid as on foot, the speed I understand just because of the nature of its size. It was hard to move around difficult to shot smaller enemies. But the more I played the more I understood how to play as a Titan. The difference between pilot and titan are they playstyles, as a Titan you are a walking target, but as a pilot, you are faster and a more difficult target.

Titans are another part of your loadout. You can change in between deaths just like pilots, so if you feel like one Titan is better against another Titan you can change it. If you play enough you will unlock skins, abilities, and traits. The more you play a curtain Titan the more you can make it your own.

Playing as a certain pilot class will also unlock skins and weapons. Each class works well with every perk and weapon. You can be an invisible sniper or a speedy close-ranged shotgun. There are more than one way to play a class, this was something I overlooked when I first played that game.





The Speed and Level Designs are What Makes This Game one of the Best FPS. Ever

When talking about first-person shooters I’m not the first one to be excited, but when I saw the trailer at E3 and then playing the beta got me invested. The feel and speed is a huge reason I had this game on my radar. The campaign I wasn’t worried about, I knew the history of Respawn and the amazing work they have done in the past in terms of story.

The campaign had amazing levels and platforming that I wasn’t sure they could pull off, but they implemented it in a smart way. Now that Titanfall 2 is out and release I would like to see if Respawn can improve on the core gameplay instead of adding on. Titanfall is here to stay and hopefully it can become comparable or even better than the other shooters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a