Skip to main content

My 2016 Game of the Year: # 1 Overwatch

# 1 Overwatch


For a while I’ve distance myself from first-person shooters, mostly because I didn’t feel like I was good. Now I don’t really mind if I’m playing bad or good just as long as I enjoy the time I had. That is especially true with Overwatch. When I first saw Overwatch I knew that this game was going to be great, not only because of Blizzard but the characters that Blizzard built into the game. Every hero has its own unique set of powers, in which it creates multiple composition and ways to attack.

Blizzard has a reputation in keep player coming back, for Overwatch Blizzard implemented a loot box system. These loot boxes contain randomly amazing skins, emotes, spray paints, voices, and victory stances. Even after collecting a lot of collectables I still enjoy getting loot boxes, though they do come in duplicates, you can earn currency to buy the collectables. The neat thing about this system is that every event there are new collectables. This is one of the many reason I keep myself invested in Overwatch.


The Maps Are Obstacles That Your Team Needs to Overcome  

Before starting and choosing your hero, you will need to see which map fits what hero. For example; “Route 66” is a small narrow map with smaller closed off areas. Using a Junkrat and his basic attack of bouncing bombs can really hurt the enemy team, or Reaper because his ability to do massive damage up close. There are so much you can strategize with your team from just looking at the map.

Blizzard isn’t only focusing on new heroes, but new maps. So far, they have released two maps that are playable and another that was specific to a mode that can’t be accessed anymore. The first map Blizzard released was Eichenwalde – I haven’t had a chance to play much of this map but, from looking at videos and hearing from others, it’s a castle with many narrow blocking points. Antarctica is the second map that is locked within Arcade mode for 1v1 and 3v3. This map is small, condensed and has an open middle and rooms on the sides. The Halloween event was different because of the brawl they setup. It was in a new map with new mechanics, called “Junkenstein’s Revenge”. This is a hoard type mode -- instead of fight each other you and 3 other players will work together to stop Junkenstein and his creations.

Making specific maps for specific modes are great for the casual players that don’t touch competitive. This gives those players more reason to play, because they know that some new maps will only be for the casual players. Blizzard struck a nice balance of catering to the hardcore and casual audience.



All the Heroes Are Unique, Colorful, and best of all Feels Alive Within the World

The one thing that pops in my head when talking about Overwatch are the well-designed, well-written characters. The heroes have their own set of abilities and combining them to create a plan and succeeding is always rewarding. You don’t have to be the greatest FPS player to participate. There are many roles you can play and they all play differently, healing is an option, as well as, Defense (Tank), Assault (Attack), and Support. The abilities and gameplay of the characters are cool and all, but it’s their personality that makes them memorable.

The Heroes in Overwatch are charming and has a purpose their world. Some are parts of Overwatch, an organized hero group and some are with the Talon terrorist. Letting players play both sides of the conflict gives better insight in a game which doesn’t give too much direct lore of the world. This gives Blizzard the opportunity to add in bits of lore into the game, exactly like what they did with Sombra. These tidbits of information they sprinkle and hid from the players are always exciting, because of the funny, and informing conversation the community comes up with.


Blizzard doesn’t disappoint, every time I play I find new things about the world and characters that I never knew about.


Let’s Stop Pretending to be Superheroes, And Become Superheroes

I’ve enjoy every bit of Overwatch and plan to keep playing. I’m not the biggest FPS fan, but the way Overwatch is played you don’t have to be, I just enjoy the part where I feel like I’m on a team of superheroes. Playing with friends and communicating with them enhances the overall experience.

Overwatch is such a masterfully crafted game with a colorful world, characters, and great game play mechanics that I can’t stay away from. This is a game that will stay for a while and will be improved throughout its lifetime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a