Skip to main content

Diving Deep into The Series of Kingdom Hearts – Kingdom Hearts I


 About a week ago I decided to dive into one of my favorite series growing-up, Kingdom Hearts. Square released, the HD remaster version on PS4 and the new 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue also on PS4, this focuses on continuing the story and will lead into the third game. If you didn’t know, the HD remaster provides you with six Kingdom Hearts games.

  •          Kingdom Hearts I
  •          Chain of Memories
  •        358/2 Days
  •         Kingdom Hearts II
  •         Birth by Sleep
  •          Re:coded

This collection of games is essential to the overall narrative of the game, even though it’s a convoluted mess. I’m using a guide that shows me which games are in chronological order to get the full understanding of the Kingdom Hearts world and who Sora is as a character. Thanks for RPG Grind Time – a column at Gameinformer

 Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (These names are ridiculous) from what I understand isn’t about Sora and his adventures, but with a new character, Aqua. You meet Aqua in Birth by Sleep – which is a prequel to the first game. This collection continues the story of Aqua and the overall story into the third game. This collection has three games:

  •         Dream Drop Distance
  •      Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage
  •          Kingdom Hearts χ Back Over

I haven’t touch this collection yet, but can’t wait to understand the story of Aqua and her companions.

Now that we have an idea of the journey, let start with the obvious – Kingdom Hearts I. I remember playing this game as a kid, though I didn’t get very far – I did watch a lot. Watching it was enough to make me curious and that curiosity never left my mind. Then, three years ago Square Enix released the HD collection on PS3 (the same collection on PS4) that I tried and never got past the island. I wanted to go back to it, but lending it to a friend led to its disappearance.

It’s now 2017, the same collection has been re-released on PS4, there’s also a new episode leading to the next game, and more recently, a 2018 release window on Kingdom Hearts III.


Playing through the first game was rough! At first it was enjoyable. Seeing Sora, Donald, and Goofy brought back memories and not to mention all the Disney worlds and characters we all loved – some I even forgot about. But the tedious questing and back tracking made playing the game a frustrating boring chore.

One thing I did enjoy, gameplay-wise, was the combat and the customization of combos and abilities. This is a part of the game I didn’t realize could be so vital to a personal playthrough. I say flexible and customizable because you can change how many finishers you can add, not only finishers but simple abilities like rolling, and sliding – these skills are restricted to a certain amount making me change-up fighting styles during certain situations.


As the game progressed more of the chores and back tracking persist. I don’t really like using a guide as it isn’t the way I like to experience a game, but in this case, it made my experience more enjoyable. The remaster version looks sharp just as I remembered it, the faithful adaptation of the Disney world’s felt exactly like I was in a Disney story.

The overall narrative is also a big mess, it does well introducing the characters but the narrative around the characters are so convoluted making the tedious questing unrewarding in both gameplay and storytelling. Traveling through Disney worlds and meeting the characters in those worlds was rewarding but still doesn’t feel satisfactory because of the frustrating moments I had to get through.

--

Kingdom Hearts will always have a soft spot in my heart. Playing through it in 2017 after understanding what games can be, I can say that Kingdom Hearts is not a great game that I like.

The questing is long with little guides, on top of that it isn’t rewarding enough for all the frustrating stuff that must be completed. The combat is deeper and more enjoyable than I remembered, the mobility of the game is a big part of that – the fast-pace nature of it is fun and nothing that Square has done before. The Disney characters are what made this game so popular, it was the reason I wanted to pick up Kingdom Hearts again. After playing the first Kingdom Hearts I understand why critics are so hard on this game and why I had fond memories of this series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a