Skip to main content

Weekend Replay: Finally! I’ve Got the Bloodborne Plague



Bloodborne was the first Souls-like game that I’ve played. I really enjoyed what I’ve played during its initial release, but I wasn’t prepared for what Bloodborne had in store for my frustration level. Outside of combat, everything triggered me. Squaring up with a simple enemy I’ve encountered multiple times to then just died was unforgivably frustrating. If I had a great run with an abundance of Blood Echoes my first goal was to cash in those Echoes, however looking for a laturn (checkpoint) can be tricky as they are hidden in curtain areas of the map and the only way to get back to The Hunter’s Dream to redeem the echoes. These frustrating elements co-mingling was just a nightmare.

However, last week I wanted to finish something in my backlog and for some reason Bloodborne came to mind. Loading in for the first time in almost a year, I decided to create a new playthrough. After the first 3 hours, I thought to myself “Wow, how come this didn’t click with me before?” I knew why, it was the mindset I had before playing the first time. I had to stop thinking about this game as a third-person action game like Crackdown, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Witcher 3 and start thinking about it as an JRPG with unforgiving combat. Understanding that exploration will grant access to more abilities, loot, and other passages really helped me wrap my head around the progressing system which I had no clue going in to the first time I started.

The combat system was fun from the get-go. The weapons were what really interested me, switching from a nimble sword to a slow but powerful great sword was different from the other From Software games in this ilk. Though there isn’t much weapon verity compared to the Dark Souls series the weapons in Bloodborne feel more diverse. One thing I’ve notice after playing Bloodborne is how much faster it is compared to Dark Souls. The dodging takes less stamina, the weapon attacks are quicker, and healing animation is faster. Every action is sped up and you can feel it when switching from either game (especially during boss fights).


Dark Souls and Bloodborne has the From Software touch with cryptic lore and items that don’t 100% tell you what it does. This is one of the things that made me bounce off the first time, but after the first few items you can read between the lines and have a better idea of what that item does. I’m enthralled by the enemy designs from the simple open world enemies to the bosses that made my stomach turn, but one thing I was always wondering about is “how did this person? creature? Turnout this way? What was their journey?” Overall more lore that is explanatory and not just hidden objects with obscure texts.

One aspect of the game that I didn’t put much time into was the Chalice Dungeons. These are optional dungeons that are room-to-room encounters until you reach the boss. There are multiple sets of floors that must be completed before moving on to a new dungeon. These Dungeons are smaller bite-sized encounters compared to the open world. I’ve only completed the first dungeon, it was incredibly easy, but the size and difficulty of the dungeons might change the more you unlock other dungeons. These dungeons are presented to you early, but I consider doing this after completing the game. You would be over leveled and will blow through the dungeons.

--

I knew Bloodborne was this master piece but trashing my head against the controller wasn’t the way I wanted to experience one of the best PS4 exclusive to date. But I’m glad I came back to it and had a blast slaying monsters/hunter, that’s something I don’t think I would be saying if I forced my way through during initial release. The combat was always fun, and I knew that whatever I hated the moment to moment combat was something that would lead me away from the negative aspects of the game.

After finishing the game, I was surprised at how the world grabbed me, everything from the Victorian esthetic to the gruesome, horrific, enemies to the Chalice Dungeons. I’m glad I came back to Bloodborne just a month after it’s PS Plus freebie. I can finally talk to people about Bloodborne.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a