Skip to main content

My Game of the Year (2017) – Pyre #5


2017 will be in the history books for Videogames, and rightfully so, with many amazing games that released all throughout the year. Also, let’s not forget that 2017 saw a release of two consoles that changed the way gamers experience console gaming. But this isn’t about the hardware we play the games on, this is about the games that struck a cord with me. A game that made me think about it and its messages or the simple fact that its too fun to stop playing.

The #5 game on my list is a small indie game, created by notable indie creators behind, Bastion, and Transistor. Supergiant’s new game -- Pyre.


Pyre’s – Well Realized World

Pyre, at its core is a visual novel set in a world where literacy is banned, people who break the ban are exiled to a place called the Downside. During the time in the Downside you (The Reader) find and join companions called The Nightwings that want a way out of the Downside, and the only way out is to complete a series of Rites – which is a competitive sport. The Rites lead you down a past of freedom. Along the way you meet interesting and relatable characters from other teams that will join your cause. In doing so, these new recruits will have repercussions – it can be as simple as not being treated fairly or as complicated as a sibling rivalry. Pyre has a well-constructed narrative with twists and turns that keep me engage in a 15-hour long experience.

Choices Aren’t Reflected in the Overall Narrative, but Feels Impactful in The Moment

The Visual novel aspect of the game was a biggest surprise for me. I don’t have any experience playing visual novel games and didn’t think it would be my cup of tea. I’ve heard whispers of Pyre a year prior and thought the concept of literature being banned in this world was a neat idea, and the competitive aspect of the Rites got me interested in it. I never thought that this game would make me enjoy a visual novel styled-story.

There is a big enthuses in player choice. I’ve played games where the choice I made during the game felt like it had a big impact at the end. In Pyre, however, I felt like that choices I made only affected that moment and didn’t reflect on the end of the game. For example, one of the first choices I made is with a talking dog as a companion, he asked me what I thought about his mustache (yes, a talking dog with a mustache – nothing new) and if he should cut it off or keep it. There are many instances just like that one that has no impact in the end, but it adds character for all your companions

All the biggest choices come from the last match of a series. Before starting a match, you choose three characters to lead the charge. Because this is the last match of the series, you as the reader must choose one character in your team of three to be freed back to the commonwealth. This choice is vital, as that character will never return on your roster. During this choice I felt so connected to each character I wanted to send a character that deserved to be freed -- not just letting go of the weakest member in my group. These choices were one of the most impactful and toughest choices I had to make in Pyre. I felt proud, sad, excited, and worried with every character I sent free.

The Rites Create a Tense Competition


The Rites are a series of competition that must be won to be freed from the Downside. The Rites is a mix of football and basketball with two teams of three. The objective of the competition is to take the orb in the middle and use your team and they’re set of skill to dunk the orb into the fire – which they call a “Pyre”. Depending on which character you score with determines how many points you get on the board.

Every match is accounted for, as you can see your record against other opponents at any point. The matches might seem easy at first, but they want to ease new players into it. Over time the matches get more difficult whether that be obstruction or difficult opponents. The record, again, doesn’t really affect the end – but you do get hidden dialog as they remember their lost and your wins.

 There are many shapes, sizes, and skills with each character. Picking your team of three is vital to your style of play. A small character is quick and can get around the arena, but they score less points. A medium sized character is well balanced with speed and physical play – they don’t score as much as a big bodied character, but do score more then small sized characters. The last and most powerful are the big bodied architypes, they can tackle an opponent into submission for a couple seconds but the down side to them are they’re slow, and are easy targets to tackle. These are the architypes you must know to mix and match which is the best for your style of play.

While moving in the world there will be places that will affect the arena. These can vary from objects obstructing the field, to poison puddles and volcanic eruption. These affects make all the continual Rites feel more refreshing, as doing Rite over and over can feel a little dull at times. Adding these affects provides a different playstyle.

The Art Style Is Perfect for This Type of Setting


This art style is one of a kind, Supergiant has always been great at art design with every pasting game a different looking style. Though they look cartoony, its about the setting and the context of the world that makes each of their games feel and look like a different style. The overworld has this glass painting style that feels religious, just like the Rites that occurred.

The color of each scene is bright and lush, which is ironic, as everyone in the Downside is miserable, and dark for all exiles.

Speaking of exiles, all the characters have a distinct esthetic. Some can be serious like Jodariel – a thoughtful demon lady with horns, or they can be like Gil a humble and outspoken Wyrm Knight – (Worm Knight). For a game like Pyre it’s important to remember all the companions that guided you through the game. Supergiant made me care about these characters that most games don’t 

--

Supergaint Games hit a home-run with Pyre, though I didn’t love they’re past games, Pyre really stuck with me throughout the months. The characters are unforgettable, beautifully well-realized, and have a wide verity of personalities in a cast of characters. These characters aren’t just a great cast, but a great group for a team as well.

The Rites are a good palate cleanser for all the reading and decisions you must make. It gives you a break in which you can test your skill in a competition. Adding the record of your overall matches makes every match important, whether that be competing against a team that beat your pervious, or a team you destroyed repeatedly.

Though I’m not a fan of visual novels, this game got me thinking that I might not hate it as much as I thought. The connections I made through the characters and the choices I made for them allowed me to care for these characters in a way that made me think through the choice I made – was I making the right choice for him/her or am I going to make things worst for them.



All these combines to be an enticing narrative with surprises that would grab the players. With the art style and characters being unique it makes the Rites more refreshing as every match passes – At the end of a series, a companion’s Destiny is on your hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a