Skip to main content

My First Impressions on Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

When I saw that Square Enix was re-releasing Final Fantasy XII it took be back to 2005-2006. As a kid, I wasn’t invested into games, but I’ve many family members that were. Watching them made my interest level rise. One was Final Fantasy XII on the PS2.

I knew what a Final Fantasy entails, a group of heroes trying to save to world from destruction with in-depth turn-based combat. In Final Fantasy XII Square Enix moved away from those properties and implemented a new battle system with a world devastated by war. Back then the only thing that wowed me was the beautiful, massive world of Ivalice.

Now that I’m older and can understand systems, I can experience Final Fantasy XII in a new and improved way.

First thing I noticed when booting up the game was the music. Hitoshi Sakimoto and Hayato Matsuo were the original composers. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age allows you to play the original soundtrack or change it to orchestrated version. I wish more remasters would get this treatment. Hearing the original soundtrack is great but gets a little old, composing an orchestrated version creates a dramatic feel that most games can benefit from.

The soundtrack is great, it creates this sense of adventure that enhances the overall gameplay. Part of that is the music, but a lot of it is the visual improvements made for The Zodiac Age. The graphics and visuals are not as a remember, but being a 2006 game, it isn’t surprising. The world is beautiful and that hasn’t changed. What did was the character models during in-game cut-scenes, especially when the cinematic cut-scenes look amazing even for 2017 standards. It’s a little jarring when the cut-scenes transition from cinematic to in-game.


The world is massive, too massive in my option – part of that is how slow the traveling is. You walk at a slow pace giving the player more time to look around, but a game at this pace wares out the player. Square Enix understood the pace of the game and found a solution to it. The Zodiac Age has a fast-forward multiplier of 2x or 4x, which makes the game much more enjoyable. Without this feature, I don’t think I would be playing or talking about Final Fantasy XII.  

Combat is different from any in its series. It’s mostly automatic but can be controlled manually with the original “Gambit” system. This system is awesome, every party member can be set to automatically execute an action – for example, you can set a healer to use Cure on a party member that is below 50%, or set all members to attack an enemy that is targeting a member. I don’t have much to go off, because of the lock scenarios. Many players say it feels like an MMO combat system, but to me it’s more of a sim type system. What I’ve experience so far with the gambit system was fun and very rewarding.


Another layer of the combat system is “The International Job System” which is new to North American players. This job system is a wheel of twelve jobs – each member in the party must choose one job (can’t be changed) at first and will be able to add another job later in the game. Once a job is picked, you can farther customize a member with the license gird. I don’t remember the job system with the original game, but this seems streamline compared to the old system.





--




Final Fantasy XII always takes me back in time, remembering the unusual combat and the gigantic open space. As a kid, I always wanted to play Final Fantasy XII but never had the chance to, is was harder to play with every pasting year. Now I can finally experience the world of Ivalice with The Zodiac Age. With new additions like the fast-forward multiplier, the international job system, and orchestrated soundtrack I can say this is the best way to play Final Fantasy XII.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a