Skip to main content

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Has a Sense Wonder and Exploration That Most Games Don’t


 When thinking about open world games, I think about – player agency, beautiful landscapes, discovery, exploration, and freedom. Some games cater to these aspect, though some does it better than others. Massive games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Witcher 3 has those aspects that make them great open world games. Games that don’t and just focus on hammering in on one point falls short, a good example is the Far Cry series. The open world gives the player freedom but not a lot to discover. Ubisoft tries to give the players a sense of discovery and exploration by implementing the tower system – this system allows the player to unlock a part of the map and unveil all the objectives you can do.

The main difference between Breath of the Wild and other open world games is that Breath of the Wild doesn’t give a false sense of Wonder – by that I mean, the game doesn’t handhold you by giving you more objective once a part of the map is unlocked. In Breath of the Wild, everything is on the player – finding every dungeon and shrines, use markers to pin where to go, cooking, and battle preparation.

Just like the Far Cry games, towers are present in Zelda. But in Zelda the towers work a little different – once you get on the tower you unlock a part of the map and nothing else. This is the cool part of discovering Hyrule in Breath of the Wild, looking at the distance you can find many mysteries to explore.


I’ve played a lot of open world games, I love the vast world and everything in it. Sometimes the world can seem too big. When exploring, I tend to get lost and that can be frustrating finding the way back on track. What Zelda: Breath of the Wild does even though its world is one of the biggest I’ve played is that there are so many things in-between my objectives I can tackle whether it be combat, climbing, or shrines I never feel like I’m lost in Hyrule.


The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a beautiful, colourful, and lively open world game. The game sense of wonder is player driven – like most of this game. Because almost everything is player driven when I’m lost there are many other objectives I can complete before I get to my goal – these small objectives fill the holes in the open world making me feel like I’m never lost, just taking the long route.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fortnite: Battle Royale: Season 4 Just Made Some Crazy Changes and I in Love with it

Fortnite has become this huge juggernaut in the gaming industry ever since Epic released their Battle Royale mode in late September. The Battle Pass implementation gave the player a progression system that gamify the Battle Royale mode, of which PUBG does not have. Having something to accomplish in-between gathering and fighting during each match creates a sense of accomplishment. In a game where there is a 100-player free-for-all fight, your chances of winning are low, allowing the Battle Pass rewards gives the player this satisfaction of accomplishment even if you lose. Over the past month, Epic has been teasing and creating ARGs in-game for the lead up to Season 4. Hearing about the meteors crashing down on Tilted Towers was cool but I didn’t think anything of it, as I thought it to be a cosmetic choice. But after seeing the video where Titled Towers got hit with small meteors during a match made me believe that the rumored Superhero themed Season Pass might be true. Long a